How to Track Down a Lost Retirement Account

About 26% of Americans wait until age 30 to start saving for retirement and 15% wait until age 40 to start saving. The decision to retire is very important but usually does not happen until later in life.

At the same time, the average American performs more than 12 different tasks in their professional life, with most work occurring in their 20s. Some jobs usually include a retirement plan that the employer or employee can contribute to before the employee moves to a new job.

What are you counting on? Someone wakes up when they’re nearly 30 or 40, decides it’s time to start saving for retirement, but then wonders if they remember a retirement account from a job they had ten years ago. What’s the next step to finding a missing 401 (k)?

How do I lose a 401 (k) account?

A 401 (k) retirement account or other job is lost when the company managing the account loses contact with the previous employee. The employee’s last address is out of date and the account was lost without contacting the employee.

Many things can happen in this situation. In many cases, accounts with significant balances remain intact and gradually increase. In other cases, the accounts can be settled with assets transferred to the state. The exact process depends on the account balance, the specific laws of the retirement account type, and the exact agreement between the previous employer and the pension funds.

So what can you do if you suspect you’ve lost an account?

How to Find an Old 401 (k) Account

Contact your previous employer

The first step to finding a lost retirement account is to contact your previous employer while they are still working. Find out which investor was the manager of the plan at the time and contact the manager.

This may sound simple, but it can be more difficult than you expect, especially if your previous employer has merged with another company or, worse, isn’t working yet. The same problem could be with the plan manager, who may also have merged with another investment firm.

Identifying these changes can take time and lead to organizational impoverishment. In this situation, you can try contacting former colleagues to ask if they have information about who was in charge of the room during their stay.

Use a lost or abandoned database

If you can’t find the current administrator of your old retirement account, the next step is to look for the lost or abandoned plan in the public databases. These databases contain plans where your previous employer specified a previous retirement plan, or if the plan’s administrator was unable to find beneficiaries. Here are some tools you can use to find these plans.

• Search the US Department of Labor Abandoned Plan is a searchable database of all abandoned retirement plans reported to the Department of Labor.

• FreeERISA is a searchable database of publicly registered retirement plans, specifically Form 5500, the plans of which must be submitted to the Department of Labor.

The National Register of Unclaimed Retirement Benefits is helpful in finding the plans you have with plan administrators.

• Resources for finding retirement benefits can help if you have an unsolicited or lost pension.

Look for unclaimed funds

In some situations, your old pension scheme can be canceled because you have a small balance. Visit the various unclaimed fund services at to find small lost retirement accounts, possibly from employers with whom you have worked for a short time and have not yet made a significant contribution. Each state also has its own unclaimed funds.

What to do if you get an old retirement account

If you find your retirement account in the form of unclaimed funds, you will receive a check after completing the appropriate documents. You just want to make sure that any income tax on money is covered.

What if you find an intact retirement plan? There are a few things you need to do.

1. Update your contact information. Contact your current plan administrator first and make sure your contact information is up to date. You want to do this so that they can contact you and submit statements for this plan in the future.

2. Keep records. In the future, we recommend that you keep a book of all plans that are still active so that you can contact them with the address and phone number. Signing up for an online account with the plan administrator is a good step because it simplifies these changes.

3. Draw up another retirement plan. Another great option is to easily transfer this newly restored retirement plan to another retirement plan. Depending on the exact situation, this could result in a taxable situation for you. You want to start with the administrators of the plan for which you want to set up old money, contact us and ask for advice on how you can make it happen.

4. Why are you doing this? The less you have retirement accounts, the easier it will be to keep track of all your retirement funds. It’s also easier to manage how all your retirement money is invested, so you do not have to split your investments across multiple accounts. In addition, newer accounts may offer more or better investment options in some situations. Some retirement plans have many benefits, so you can pass them on if the old plan does not provide you with enough.

5. How to prevent losing a 401 (k) account

6. How can this problem be avoided in the future? There are some simple steps you can take with your 401 (k) plan when changing jobs.

7. The simplest step is to keep only good records.

 When you start getting your pension, you need to keep it in a place that you can insure in the future. After leaving the service, make sure you have a list to contact if you are moving in the future and include your plan in the list. Signing up for an online account with your plan will be much easier in the future. 8. Another option is to easily transfer all subscriptions to a new subscription when it is out of service. If you get a job with a new employer with a new pension scheme, you have to transfer the old scheme to this new scheme. If you do not, use the old plan in a traditional IRA

Translate »